|Title / Titel||Action- and Problem-Oriented Teaching (APT) in Complex Learning and Instruction Environments in Secondary Education (preacademic)|
|Abstract (PDF, 14 KB)|
|Original title / Originaltitel||Anwendungs- und problemorientierter Unterricht in gymnasialen Lehr-Lern-Umgebungen|
|Summary / Zusammenfassung||The implementation of action- and problem-oriented Teaching (APT) is aimed at improving the level of achievement of curricula goals at in Secondary Education (equals at the Swiss preacademic “Gymnasium”). Providing appropriate situations and tasks, APT is designed to help students acquire demand-specific competencies and action competence. It also specifically fosters the following components of competence in a systematic way:
- acquisition of applicable knowledge containing explanatory, procedural and conditional components based on curricular criteria,
- acquisition of subject specific thinking and working strategies
- acquisition of general learning strategies
- improvement of meta-cognitive competence
- improvement of social and communicative competence
- development of moral values, including critical and moral thinking
- development of interest in the subject as well as the corresponding learning motivation
- development of the students’ responsibility for their own learning.
The modelling of the appropriate teaching-methods is based on eleven pedagogical guidelines of medium level of concreteness. In contrast to many other educational methods in scientific subjects, APT allows teachers “freedom of methods” as it can be realized in many different ways. This is important for teachers’ professionalism in the field.
The basic hypothesis of this project is that the kind of teaching where teachers systematically and coherently aim at developing and combining effect categories based on curricular criteria, will lead to better results than teaching without such systematic guidelines. This hypothesis will be tested in a quasi-experimental setting.
|Keywords / Suchbegriffe||secondary education (preacademic); pedagogics of high school teaching; research on teaching methods; research on learning and instruction; didactics of geography; didactics of economics, business administration and law; action competence; task-specific competence; problem-based learning|
|Project leadership and contacts /
Projektleitung und Kontakte
|Funding source(s) /
|SNF (Personen- und Projektförderung)
|Duration of Project / Projektdauer||Oct 2005 to Jun 2009|